So my buddy Salt nominated me for the Liebster Award which is basically an award given to new bloggers just starting out. I’m a newb to this blogging business so I’m a perfect candidate and am honored she thought of me for this.
Like the Traveling Pants Award from a few posts ago, there are rules:
- Acknowledge the nominating blogger
- Answer 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you
- 11 random facts about yourself
- List some bloggers with fewer than 200 followers that you really feel deserve this award
- Let all of the bloggers know you’ve nominated them. You cannot nominate the blogger that nominated you!
- Post 11 questions for the bloggers you’ve nominated to answer
I like these types of awards that involve answering/asking questions. I like thinking about what’s being asked, usually questions I don’t/wouldn’t normally ask myself. And I also like asking questions and getting to know other people.
These were Salt’s questions:
1. Why did you decide to start blogging?
I decided to start blogging because I thought it was the perfect way to combine two things I love and missed: running and writing. I hadn’t been able to run for a long time due to back to back pregnancies; I mean like really run–I ran while pregnant but that’s not the same. Since I’d also taken a leave of absence from my job as an English teacher, I hadn’t had many opportunities to read or write either.
I figured I’d run and then write about 🙂 Salt gave me an extra push to go for it and here I am!
2. What is your favorite race you’ve ever run in?
I’d have to say it was the one I just ran, Rock n Roll Arizona 1/2 Marathon. This race meant a lot to me for so many reasons: It was my first major race post pregnancy, I had a pretty lofty goal in mind, and I was running it with my husband.
Having been training for this race as well as my marathon coming up, It was so rewarding to see the results of my hard work.
3. What do you think about when you are out on a long run?
I think about A LOT of things. I don’t listen to music so it’s me and my thoughts.
I think about my kids, my husband, clothes, my surroundings, things people have said/written, books, what other runners are thinking about, why I can’t cook, my pace, if I’m going to make it all the way–just a jambalaya of thoughts.
4. Favorite brand of shoes? (Running and/or otherwise?)
I’d always been an Asics fan until recently. I still like them but I also really like my Brooks. Non-running shoes, definitely Cole Haan (with the Nike air). Soooo comfy
5. What is your favorite way to cross train?
I don’t think basketball counts, right? I love yoga but don’t have a lot of time, or money, to devote myself to it. I like doing pilates videos at home, ride the bike at the gym, and the elliptical.
6. Guilty pleasure movie?
Embarrassingly too many but Dirty Dancing and Pretty Woman top the list.
7. What is one skill that you have always wanted to learn?
Gosh, there are so many things I’d like to be able to do….hmmm……
Cook. I can’t cook. It’s hard and I give up way too easily.
8. What was your favorite class in high school?
This one’s easy. English. I love reading and I love writing and I love reading other people’s writing.
9. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
I’d have to say graduating from college. I’m the first in my family to graduate from college and when I was younger, I never thought I’d even get the opportunity to go. It was just something I wished I would be able to do.
I went to Arizona State on an academic scholarship and worked the entire time that I was there. Somehow, I was able to get my degree in 4 years while working mostly full-time taking full loads of classes.
10. What is your favorite food?
Mexican food. I grew up eating it and there are just soooooo many options. Yummy ones too.
11. Let’s imagine that you’ve reached your physical peak and now you’re unable to get any faster, regardless of training. If an omnipotent being offered you a deal where if you were to be less intelligent by a certain %, you’ll gain that % in speed, would you take this deal? And if so, what would the % be?
No way, Jose. My smarts have gotten me where I am today, not my speed.
11 Random Facts About Me
- I abhor peanut butter. Even the smell of it makes me sick.
- I’m obsessed with trivia games and random facts.
- I read the dictionary when I was younger. (I’m a word nerd)
- I’m a very plain eater. I only like ketchup on my hamburgers and hot dogs; I’m not a fan of most condiments. I just like pepperoni on my pizza, glazed donuts–nothing fancy, cake with no frosting, plain vanilla or chocolate ice cream…
- I’ve never read Twilight or Harry Potter or Lord of The Rings nor have seen any of the movies.
- My husband is an engineer and a math nerd, and I’m an English teacher and a word nerd but somehow we are absolutely perfect for each other.
- I’m not a pet person. I’m hoping my kids never want a dog.
- My favorite concert ever was when the Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers toured together in 2000.
- Huge departments stores and store like Ross and TJ Maxx overwhelm me. I’m more of a boutique type of gal.
- I’m obsessed with my wedding ring and stare at it often.
- I could live off of David’s Bar-b-Que Sunflower Seeds.
Anna @Piper’s Run
These are three blogs I’ve been enjoying reading lately. I have no idea if they’re new bloggers but they write good stuff. Ladies, here are your questions:
1. When people ask you, “Why do you like running?” How do you respond?
2. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
3. Someone received an award they cheated to get. Do you notify someone or keep quiet?
4. What’s your favorite breakfast meal?
5. Do you speak any other language besides English? If not, what language would you like to learn?
6. The Voice or American Idol? (or none)
7. What is the last book you read?
8. If you could time travel, would you go the past or future?
9. What are you most looking forward to this year?
10. What is your favorite holiday?
11. Who/what inspires you?
–Any of my random facts surprise you?
–Choose and answer one of the questions I asked the three bloggers 🙂